1. The Union will undertake annually to award three scholarships, which shall be known as the Unifor Local 4504 Scholarships.
2. The Scholarships will be awarded to commendable candidates from among the members of the Union, spouse of the Union member, and/or the children of members of the Union.
3. The values of these Scholarships will include one in the amount of one thousand dollars ($1,000) to the most meriting candidate; a second in the amount of seven hundred dollars ($700) to the second most meriting candidate; and a third in the amount of five hundred dollars ($500) to be awarded to a candidate enrolled in a part-time program. If there are no part-time applicants, the $500 scholarship will go to the third most meriting full-time applicant.
4. a -- The first two scholarships will be awarded only to candidates who are currently enrolled, or who have been accepted, in a full-time post secondary program at an accredited institute of learning (University, trade school, community college, etc.).
5. The Scholarships will be awarded only for the purpose of helping to defray expenses. The Treasurer will, in each case, issue Scholarship
6. The Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of good academic standing and financial need. Aptitude in the candidate’s chosen field will also be a consideration.
7. The determination of the candidates deserving of being awarded each of the three Scholarships in any year will be done by an impartial Referee (or Panel of Referees) who is not a member of the Union. The Executive Board will be responsible for the appointment of the Referee (or Panel of Referees) and its Appointment(s) will be final. The Candidate selections of the Referee (or Panel of Referees) are final and not subject to appeal. It must be made clear to the Referee(s) that the awards are tenable at any technical school, community college, etc.
8. Notice of the Scholarship will be sent out to the membership by the Secretary. Forms and other information required in connection with the Gerald Parent Memorial Scholarship will be made available at the Union Office.
9. The membership shall be notified of the Scholarship recipients.